April 16, 2004
"Please, I've got better things to do."
April 15 came and went. Ultimate date that a singificant majority of Singaporeans will mark down in their calender. Deadline for filing income tax returns.
Every April, my parents will bug my sisters or me to do their income tax filing for them. Actually, it's every April 14th. 'Cos my Dad really doesn't give two shit about this inane process, and my Mum is really like blissfully ignorant about it, at least until her colleagues start giving her stress by reminding her to do it.
So, anyway, I was doing e-filing. And, pardon me, readers but I'm really pissed by the whole process. D knows all about it lor. Cos, for better or for worse, he was online while I was trying to swim in this sea of confusion.
First, I wanna know why the board enjoys changing their acronyms. First it was PAL, now it's Singpass. Before it was a 4 digit thing, now it's 8 digit. And I wonder what made them assume that we'd actually keep track of all these changes and remember all these changes. Like, hullo, do they not think we have better things to do?
Second, I wanna know why they had to make the whole process of reporting your income so tedious? It's tedious enough to earn the income, now it's double work to have to report it. There's employer's section, employee's section, reliefs, claims, what shit... Any wonder why the older folks are totally pissed? Imagine asking... 'So, how much is your relief?' 'What relief??? If I had any relief, you think I'd still be here struggling to make ends meet at my age???'
I may sound like a stupid graduate who cannot understand simple English and cannot memorise all my pins, and who doesn't follow the news enough to keep myself updated of all the changes (But, really, who bothers?).
But, my point is, don't I have better things to do in life? I really don't mind filing my income and like how much I earn. But don't make the whole process so tedious. Every next item sounds about the same as the last and it's no longer a test of my honesty in reporting income, more like a test of my English comprehension. Which then brings me to the next point...
Don't you think it's very boliao to file income tax? Especially if you are like earning a miserly income and the cost and effort of 'chasing after you' when you don't file actually exceeds your tax amount?
Like my Dad says, 'it's illegal not to file. so, juz file lah. Give them any figure, so long as you file, they'd be happy. Not like we are secretly acquiring properties and opening up swiss accounts.'
And after some time of trying to think where the hell i left my PAL Pin, or is it Singpass pin.. whatever, I decided...
Forget it. I'm not going to file this year. I didn't receive any form B too anyway. And if they are going to take away more peanuts from me, then, wtf. I'd let you guyz know again if they do.
hehe.. meanwhile, life's good! Told u I've better things to do!
Posted by 杏 cy (Jancy) at 14:17